Saturday 22 January 2011

Where's the Pink Panther from?

   Durham, Durham, Durham Durham Durham Durham Durhaaaaam! Durham!
   I like Durham, I like it quite a lot. I like the hills and the old cobbles and the cool walls and the little stair-cases leading to the backs of pubs and the weir on the Wear and the bridges and the castle and oldness of it all. Every time I get all poetic in the head box, whenever I imagine wet windows and steamy rooms with people sitting on dark woods wearing knitted items, I think of them doing it in Durham. It truly is a beautiful city.
   The way I see Durham is like "Edinburgh Light", "Diet Edinburgh" if you will. The city isn't quite as extensive as the Scots capital and it doesn't have the same feeling to it, not quite but the winding narrow streets, Medieval bridges and distinct student population does give it a similar flavour, just without the sugar.

See? Just like Edinburgh really.
   I was in Durham today, I had nothing else to blog on.
   There was one busker in Durham, using a small amp I reckon he was allowed to be there and it got me back to thinking about the legalities of busking. I recently tried searching the Newcastle City Council website for the rules and reg's on busking in the Toon but to no avail. Glasgow has a leaflet online plainly explaining what you can and can't do, Oxford tells you what you need and even TfL leave you some inkling that getting a permit is hard but Newcastle are awful for it. 
   I have it on decent call that just turning up and moving on when you're told is a canny plan but if anybody knows anything else on the subject, let me know.
   Apologies for the somewhat half-arsed approach to this blog post, I'm feeling strange today. visit durham though, its canny.
-Nous.

No comments:

Post a Comment