Sunday 23 January 2011

I'm a man of means, by no means.

   The thing about moving is that social circles often stretch out pretty far, so when you leave somewhere, and you don't have the same time to spend with those same people, you end up concentrating on only the most important people in that past life and feeling guilty for both ignoring the old peripheral friends and making new ones because you know that one day, you'll leave again and those people will mean very little to you once again.

The move, I'm on it.

   On various occasions I have promised myself I would get to know them better or even just get to know them but in reality, that's unlikely now. Lasses I met once and thought I'd text a few days later, but never got round to it, musicians with whom I exchanged numbers, promising to hook up for a jam that never happened or just people who frittered away in the background of you life, you knew them by name and face but actually, you didn't know them at all until you talk to them drunk on chat, take them to a party, kiss them and then realise you never really liked them in the first place and bail.
   Life's strange like that.
   But at the same time, that whole process is beautiful, I love meeting new people. I talk to strangers on the train, I would hitch hike if I could all the time, I enjoy having no money and its these things that get you acquaintances. "How much is a beer on the buffet car pal?", "Two-eighty son.", "Sod it then.", "Eh, what? Here man, here's a fiver, get me one an' all". 
   There are a few rules by which I govern my life and they've helped in gaining and maintaining these relationships for many years:
      1. Always look up.
      2. For the times you wished you had a camera, you should probably also carry a pen and paper.
      3. It probably wont hurt.
      4. A fiver is more than enough for any trip.
      5. Wine is cheaper.
      6. Bed's aren't important.
      7. Always know where your towel is (more of a nostalgic comfort thing).
      8. Never underestimate the kindness of people.
      9. See everything in uber-saturation.
      10. Engaging conversation is half the battle.
   Yeah, so the last one's an Adam Sandler quote, sue me. But aye, there are my tips for healthy living.
-Nous.

2 comments:

  1. "Haw pal ! Lookit, awl right ma numberdown fer ye, ye got a pen like?" "aye man" "Right, now, have you got a bit a' paper?" "Nah sorry dude" "Right, this Rizzla will hae to do". Liked that was, was pure good man, It's pure true because we pretty much used all of them rules in France. such as 'wine is cheaper', always know where your towel is', (including the "shit man sweardown someones bumped my towel" panic), the 'beds arn't important' ("Yeah man ! We can just sleep by the road !"... even know we continued to rob some beds lol), 'It probably won't hurt' ("RIGHT SO SHALL WE BUILD A RAFT AND/OR ROPESWING??"), twas sick man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!
    That comment made my morning.
    Cheers bro.

    ReplyDelete