Tuesday 15 February 2011

"That's going in my Facebook favourite quotations." - Nous

   Quotes a brilliant, small snippets of wisdom from an absolute flood of shit that usually comes from your friends, family and idols. My Facebook's favourite quotations section is fairly big and even then I still forget to publish half of the brilliance I come across. I thought I'd take the time to share few with you and explain their relevence to me.

   Dracz (on Phatbeats.com DnB Radio) - "We got HP21 bubblin' right now!"
Me - "I wouldn't say HP21's bubblin' mate, mum's watching Eastenders and I'm having a beer."
Dracz - "Yeah, you're probably right bruv."

   Although it might not fit in with your perceptions of me, I like drum and bass, particularly jungle. I don't know much about it but I listen all the same and Dracz' show on Phatbeats is a good way to get into it. Me and wor Tom often sit and listen to it on Friday nights when we should, by rites, be out on the lash, but sending ridiculous shout outs in to get a man we know to say things like "Cruising with R-Bizzler, he's all out of Rizla." is just too good an opportunity to pass up.
   This favourite quotation is fairly self explanatory from hence forth then but it tickles me whenever I look at it.

Papa Smurf
"You've always got to think that in the cold harsh light of a Magistrates' Court at ten o'clock on a Monday morning, can you really justify your actions to a panel of three elderly, middle-class white men? If the answer's no; don't do it." - My dad

   The life advice quote is always good, a few have come from my dad and this is one of the better ones. He's right too, in truth this quote sums up the complete ludicrousness of the British legal system and yet, at the same time, makes me laugh. I think that's the secret to a good quote, set out almost like a good joke and yet always either poignant, useful or simply a reminder of a brilliant time or place.

Pussy magnet
"My bed is a fucking fort Richard!" - Ed

   I've spent so much time in Ed's house this quote doesn't really do it justice, nor do the mere two on there from wor Dave do our hours of philosophy, football and bird banter any. This one encapsulates one of my proudest moments, when given an hour alone in a friends room with two cans of Monster, a jar of old foreign currency, a pile of cardboard boxes and some Blu-tack I whole-heartedly recommend you turn his bed into a castle and make a sword and a crown to attack him with when he tries to invade upon returning and he wont see the coins on the ceiling for at least an hour.

"Integrity is what black eyes were invented for." - Johnny 'Itch' Fox

   The King Blues' lead singer also does poetry and this line from Five Bottles of Shampoo about respecting women means something to me. It's something I fully support, if you believe in something you should always be willing to take a beating for it and I do enjoy a scrap. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of black eyes, torn shirts or grazed legs.

"Some people say football is a matter of life and death and I'm disappointed with that attitude, it's much, much more important than that." Bill Shankley

   Football means as lot to me, arguably my passion for Newcastle United is a religious one and I will eventually get round to blogging on that. The last time I cried was nearly two years ago, in St James' Park. Sir Bobby Robson had not long passed away and I sat amongst the sea of shirts, scarves, flags and footballs on the Sir John Hall lower tier and looked across the bright green pitch, panned up and right to the top of the Milburn Stand and then out up to the brilliant cloudless blue sky on a stunningly bright day. As I dropped my head to my hands I caught sight of a Sunderland shirt a few rows in front of me next to a Newcastle shirt, both with similar messages of mourning for the gentleman of football and I was overwhelmed with the utter international admiration for Sir Bobby and wept, I'm not afraid or embarrassed to admit it.
   I looked up and a man of forty or so looked at me, his face red and his eyes raw, his son holding his hand, looking at his dad confused as to why he'd been crying and we laughed at each other, simply laughed. That young lad probably wont forget that day and neither will I.

"If you are trembling with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

   Che's words beautifully sum up everything about my philosophy. Injustice is something I despise more than anything else, the intolerance of people and the mistreatment upon that impulse being the intolerance in question. It is these things which hold the human race back from stepping forward into revolution. On a more human level, Che was a fairly well-off young guy with a doctor's qualification who went off on a motorcycle with a friend and then wanted to change the world, along with Karl Marx, Rosa Luxemburg, Antonio Gramsci and various others, their only aim was to change the world and their only fear was being ignored. Rebels. To the end.

"Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it." - Karl Marx

   I hope this has given you some inspiration, that's what quotes are best for.
-Nous

No comments:

Post a Comment